Associate Professor of English
Specialty: Modernism, modern American poetry, modern Swedish poetry, translation theory
Degrees: B.A., University of Minnesota; M.F.A.,University of Iowa; Ph.D., University of Georgia
Johannes Göransson has a restless approach to form. His books tend to traverse, question, corrupt and meld different forms, media, genres and languages. He has written a book of epistolary poems, a book as an impossible pageant, two books of poetry based on a failed crime novel, and a book of morphing translations. He is currently working on book of lyrical poems that derive their rhythm from my attempt at bringing Swedish and English together. Since he began writing he has been interested in the volatile relationship between text and body. He has been drawn toward the impure – in both form and content.
Over the past 20 years, he has also translated a number of books, mostly by contemporary Swedish poets (Aase Berg, Ann Jäderlund, Johan Jönson, Helena Boberg and Eva Kristina Olsson); but also works by Finland-Swedish poets (Henry Parland and Gunnar Björling) and a Korean poet (Kim Yideum). Since 2005, he and Joyelle McSweeney and have run the press Action Books, an international press that creates transnational conversation between poets from around the world. He has also written extensively about translation, including the book Transgressive Circulation: Essays on Translation.
He teaches classes on poetry writing, modern and contemporary poetry, translation and translation theory, as well as a multimedia classes on the grotesque, the weird and the uncanny. As a Creative Writing teacher he believes it is fundamental for classes to develop frameworks for reading each other’s work in interesting and generative ways, rather than trying to hew the work to status quo standards. He believes it’s his role to help students read work – including their own and that of fellow students - that challenge them, and to challenge students to write the work that feels most urgent to them.
- POETRY AGAINST ALL, Tarpaulin Sky Press, 2020.
- Transgressive Circulation: Essays on Translation, Noemi Press, 2018.
- The Sugar Book, Tarpaulin Sky Press, 2015.
- Haute Surveillance, Tarpaulin Sky Press, 2013.
- Entrance to a colonial pageant in which we all begin to intricate, Tarpaulin Sky Press, 2010.
- Pilot (“Johann the Carousel Horse”), Fairy Tale Review, 2008.
- Dear Ra, Starcherone Books, 2008.
- A New Quarantine Will Take My Place, Apostrophe Books, 2007.
- Lonespeech by Ann Jäderlund
- The Angelgreen Sacrament by Eva Kristina Olsson
- Sense Violence by Helena Boberg, Black Ocean Books, 2020.
- Tsunami from Solaris by Aase Berg, Action Books, 2019. (with Joyelle McSweeney)
- Hackers by Aase Berg, Black Ocean Books, 2017.
- Which once had been meadow by Ann Jäderlund, Black Square Editions, 2017.
- Cheer up, Femme Fatale by Kim Yideum, Action Books, 2016.
- Dark Matter by Aase Berg, Black Ocean Books, 2013.
- Transfer Fat by Aase Berg, Ugly Duckling Presse, 2012.
- Collobert Orbital by Johan Jönson, Displaced Press, 2009.
- With Deer by Aase Berg, Black Ocean Books, 2009.
- Ideals Clearance by Henry Parland, Ugly Duckling Presse, 2006.
- Remainland: Selected Poems of Aase Berg, Action Books, 2005.
209 Decio Hall
Department of English
233 Decio Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556