Associate Dean for the Arts
McMeel Family Professor in Shakespeare Studies, Department of Film, Television, and Theatre
Concurrent Professor, English
Specialty: Shakespeare and performance
Degrees: B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge
Peter Holland was the Judith E. Wilson Reader in Drama and Theatre at the University of Cambridge (1996-1997) and Director of the Shakespeare Institute and Professor of Shakespeare Studies at the University of Birmingham (1997-2002) before coming to Notre Dame. His first book, The Ornament of Action, was a study of Restoration comedy in performance. Subsequent work has concentrated on Shakespeare in performance and on editing Shakespeare’s plays. He is editor of Shakespeare Survey, general editor with Stanley Wells of the Oxford Shakespeare Topics series, associate general editor of the Oxford Drama Library, and series editor of Redefining British Theatre History. His article on ‘"William Shakespeare" is the longest entry in the new Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Other interests include David Garrick, recent British drama, performance theory, and English pantomimes.
- “William Shakespeare.” In Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, edited by H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Howard Harrison, 939-76. Vol. 49. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2004.
- Holland, Peter and William B. Worthen, eds.Theorizing Practice: Redefining British Theatre History. Basingstoke: Macmillan Palgrave, 2003.
- Six plays edited for Shakespeare, William. The Pelican Shakespeare. Edited by A. R. Braunmuller and Stephen Orgel. New York: Penguin Books, 1999-2002.
- English Shakespeares: Shakespeare on the English Stage in the 1990s. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Edited by Peter Holland. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Ornament of Action: Text and Performance in Restoration Comedy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1979.
210 DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
Department of Film, Television, and Theatre
230 DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
Notre Dame, IN 46556