Application & Admission
MA and PhD in English and American Literature
- GRE General Test. GRE Subject Test: Literature in English recommended strongly but not required.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement, or statement of intent (also called a “statement of purpose”) between 500-750 words (usually 2 pages of double-spaced 12-point font)detailing your professional aims and objectives at Notre Dame, including your provisional field of study.
- CV or resume
- A single writing sample of over 5,000 words (usually 15 pages of double-spaced 12-point font) but no longer than 7,000 words (usually less than 20 pages of double-spaced 12-point font)that demonstrates your ability to craft an sustained critical argument, perform independent literary research, and write with clarity. Students submitting longer writing samples than 20 pages cannot expect that their entire writing sample will be read. Should you wish to excerpt a longer work (e.g. an undergrad or M.A. thesis), please prepare a 15-20 page document and include a brief explanatory note providing the context of the selection and a description of the scope and argument of the larger work.
January 2, 2020
The GRE should be taken no later than the December test date.
Notre Dame Institutional code - 1841; English/Literature code - 2504
Applicants should apply to the PhD Program directly.
"The MA program is open only to current and former students of Notre Dame and St. Mary's College as well as service members, international students, and others with documented portable funding from institutions and governments. The Graduate Admissions Committee will not consider applications which do not meet one of the above criteria."
For questions regarding the PhD or MA application, please email the Graduate Administrative Assistant, Alissa Doroh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MFA in Creative Writing
- GRE general test (subject test not required)
- A writing sample consisting of approximately 30 pages of fiction, 20 pages of poetry, or an equivalent amount of other appropriate writing.
- Other materials as explained in the application
Applicants wishing to be considered for financial aid should make certain that all materials be sent by the deadline. GREs should be taken no later than the December test date.