Professor of English
Fellow, Institute for Latino Studies
Degrees: B.A., M.A., University of Florida; Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago
Specialty: Poetry Writing, Latino/a Literature, Caribbean Literature, Translation
Orlando Ricardo Menes is Professor of English at the University of Notre Dame where he teaches creative writing, literature, and translation. His latest poetry collections are Heresies (University of New Mexico Press, 2015) and Fetish, winner of the 2012 Prairie Schooner Book Prize in Poetry. He is also the author of Furia (Milkweed, 2005) and Rumba atop the Stones (Peepal Tree, 2001). His poems have appeared in several prominent anthologies, as well as literary magazines like Ploughshares, Harvard Review, The Antioch Review, Prairie Schooner, Hudson Review, Shenandoah, Callaloo, Indiana Review, River Styx, Epoch, Spoon River Poetry Review, New Letters, Crab Orchard Review, and Green Mountains Review. In addition, Menes is editor of Renaming Ecstasy: Latino Writings on the Sacred (Bilingual Press/Editorial Bilingüe, 2004) and The Open Light: Poets from Notre Dame, 1991-2008 (University of Notre Dame Press, 2011). Besides his own poems, Menes has published translations of poetry in Spanish, including My Heart Flooded with Water: Selected Poems by Alfonsina Storni (Latin American Literary Review Press, 2009). That same year he received a Literature Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. His poetry delves into questions of liminality, the hybrid sacred, diaspora and exile, and the relationship between the cross-cultural imagination and a poetics of the baroque.
- Heresies. University of New Mexico Press, 2015.
- Fetish. University of Nebraska Press, 2013.
- Menes, Orlando R., ed. The Open Light: Poets from Notre Dame Press, 1991-2008. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2011.
- Menes, Orlando R., trans. My Heart Flooded with Water: Selected Poems by Alfonsina Storni. Pittsburgh, PA: Latin American Literary Review Press, 2009.
- Furia. Minneapolis, MN: Milkweed Editions, 2005.
- Menes, Orlando R., ed. Renaming Ecstasy: Latino Writings on the Sacred. Tempe, AZ: Bilingual Press/Editorial Bilingüe, 2004.
- Rumba atop the Stones. Leeds, England: Peepal Tree Press, 2001.
Department of English
Notre Dame, IN 46556