Specialty: 20th- and 21st-Century American Literature, Media and Technology, Critical Theory
Degree: PhD, UCLA
- Corridor: Media Architectures in American Fiction (University of Minnesota Press, 2013).
- “Atlas of a Concave World: Game of Thrones and the Historical Novel.” Critical Quarterly (2015).
- “What Are the Novels of the Anthropocene? American Fiction in Geological Time.” American Literary History (2015).
- Editor, with Tobias Boes, “Writing the Anthropocene.” Special issue of the minnesota review (2104).
- “Waiting for the Plague: A Field Report from Contemporary Serialization.” The Iowa Review (2014).
- “How to Be an Alien.” Los Angeles Review of Books (2013).
- “Dreiser’s Stamping Room: Becoming Media in An American Tragedy” NOVEL: A Forum on Fiction 46.2 (2013).
- “Cyclonopedia as Novel (a meditation on complicity as inauthenticity)” in Leper Creativity, ed. Ed Keller, Nicola Masciandaro, and Eugene Thacker. Brooklyn, NY: Punctum Books, 2012.
- “Sewer, Furnace, Airshaft, Media: Modernity Behind the Walls in Native Son and Manhattan Transfer.” Studies in American Fiction 37.1 (2010).
Recent Honors / Awards
- Dorothy Lee Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Ecology of Culture, awarded to Corridor: Media Architectures in American Fiction by the Media Ecology Association, 2014
- National Humanities Center, Summer Institutes in Literary Study Fellowship (2012, 2013)
- Thyssen Foundation Grant, 2011 (with Markus Krajewski and Stephan Trüby, “Dienstbarkeitsarchitekturen”)
- Faculty Fellow, DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) Interdisciplinary Summer Seminar, University of Chicago, 2009
218 Decio Faculty Hall
Department of English
Notre Dame, IN 46556